Edit: I wrote this post on Christmas Eve morning, then Christmas Eve preparations got in the way!
These pork sausage rolls are a festive take on your standard sausage roll. With green flecks of pistachio and served with red cranberry sauce, they're a pretty Christmassy look for the ol' sausage roll!
I'm taking these to my friend's place tonight for our annual Christmas Eve get together. Lindsay and I taste tested the ones in the picture... we had to taste 10 to make sure they were okay. They are okay.
Tip: These can be made ahead of time. Cook the sausage rolls just a little less time than required (til lightly brown), freeze, then reheat in the oven before serving. They must be pre-cooked.
Ingredients (makes approx. 35)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
600g pork mince
100g pistachios, chopped
100g dried cranberries, finely chopped
2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
1/2 teaspoon sea salt flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
3 sheets frozen puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
cranberry sauce, to serve
- Line two oven trays with baking paper. Heat oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic then cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
- Add mince, pistachio, cranberry, mustard, dried herbs, salt and pepper, then stir until well combined.
- Put 1 sheet of pastry on a clean, dry work surface. Cut in half to form 2 rectangles. Form 1/2 cup of mixture into a long along the edge of a rectangle.Brush opposite edge with egg. Roll up firmly to enclose filling. Repeat with remaining mixture. Freeze 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 C. Cut each roll into 6 pieces and arranged on prepared trays, seam side down. Brush top of rolls with reserved egg, then scatter over poppy seeds.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling is cooked through, Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Arrange on a serving plate and serve with cranberry sauce on the side.