WAITING FOR THE WHISTLE

"OH the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful,
and since we've no place to go 
Let is snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!"
-Sammy Cahn & Jule Styne, 1945-


Some tinsel here, an ornament there... with Sydney's summer on hiatus, there is no better time than the present to make the most of those festive homely touches that make the month of December the warmest and happiest of times. Now if those rain clouds could please pack up and leave so we can enjoy some sunny warmth, too, that would be just SWELL!





I bought this whistling kettle last weekend, fulling intending to give it to someone for Christmas, then decided they may not be as enamoured with it as I was, and thought it best for everyone if I kept it myself.

Many a granny would turn in her grave if she knew that I opened the box wondering if there should be a cord or instructions. For those of you who are as clueless as I was, no, neither things are included with a whistling kettle. It's shameful that I even looked, I know. "So, do I just literally just put in on the stove top?", I asked my Mum, holding aloft my pretty knew "gift".

It was an adrenaline-inducing moment indeed as we eagerly awaited the steadily arising whistle. Hearing that whistle made us shriek with delight. If you'd just stepped into the kitchen straight from 1921 (the first electric kettle was invented in 1922) you'd have probably thought we were a couple of crazy tea addicts, just really really excited about our cup of tea.

My Dad came downstairs and I asked if he wanted a cup. "No thanks, I just had a coffee before". 

"Oh really, are you sure?", I asked, as I started preparing a cup and teabag for him, and placed the whistler back onto the stove. I let the kettle boil and waited til it was really SCREAMING before removing it, and then asked again, "Do you want a cup of tea Dad?" 

"Not really but okay." 

"Nar it's okay, I just wanted to boil the kettle", I said jovially, as I put away the cup and teabag.

Honestly, this has been the most fun I've ever had making a cup of tea. 

No comments: