WHAT IS THIS 'TELE-VISION' YOU SPEAK OF?


This latest 3D revolution is starting to bother me. It's possible I'm just resisting technology the way I resisted the upgrade from a Nokia 5240 (why upgrade - this pink brick works just fine, why would I ever need to send a 'text' message?) but I'm simply not ready to come to the 3D party.

I don't want to sit in my lounge room wearing 3D goggles. Quite frankly they're not very fetching and they're just a little too sci-fi, not to mention, kind of anti-social.  

Talk to the hand glasses 'cause the face aint listening.


This dress (Nicole Lindner on Etsy) on the other hand, is mildly spectacular and 'TOOT TOOT' > that was the sound of me jumping aboard the 3D train.

Much like this dress though, I find the 3D factor a distraction. If I'd been alive to see the evolution from silent movies to 'talkies' I might have been a similarly stubborn old stickler. The thing is, I feel fairly familiar with the human form so expecting my jubilation over three dimensional characters on a screen is a little bewildering to me. I predict a fad.

I don't want to disparage the whole thing completely, however, just like diamonds, some things have to be rare to remain special.

Whilst I'm having a rant, I can tell you that I'll probably be one of the last to befriend the e-reader fad. As an editor in training, I'm expected to be excited about this emerging technology (I was told so, last week) but SURPRISE, I am not. I've caressed a couple of e-readers and tried to imagine curling up in bed with a screen and it's not a happening thing for me.

I am one of those girls who will take a book into the bath and, yeah, sometimes the book will get dunked. By contrast, hanging over the bath edge clutching onto an e-reader would kinda be a mood killer. Nope, I like my books papery  papery to touch and papery to smell. Papery to absorb bath water. I think E-readers and printed books will be able to coexist  they both have merits and they can live happily together.

If you ARE looking for one  the Kobo ($199) is getting good reviews. It has a matte finish that is supposed to resemble paper  easier on the eyes than reading off this screen (some fancy shmancy technology they're using). It comes with 100 pre-loaded classics. Meanwhile my lovely paper tome is still fancy enough for me, its pages wrinkled and sharing page 33 with a Maggi noodle.


On a somewhat somber note, last week I heard that printed newspapers will die out in the next ten years. Good for the trees, but what a strange thought. I must confess though, I could count on one hand the number of times I have purchased a newspaper in my life.

Anyway, all this talk of technology is making me a little squeamish so I am going to curl up in my bed with my book in all its fragrant inky glory. (2 % excited by the ink, 98% excited about the juicy parts coming up in chapter six).

The End.


2 comments:

  1. hahaha you are too funny!

    p.s. thet 3d glasses dress is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I know, but I actually like it!!

    ReplyDelete