MUM'S GARDEN | GRATITUDE | THINGS I KNOW FOR SURE


mama's tulips



underneath the arbour. my uncle built it, I painted it, M & D planted the wisteria, and the sun grew its flowers.


the lavender was all abuzz [spot the bee]

I've spent most of this week at Mum and Dad's place; it's my HQ for jam making [my "jam factory"] because of the kitchen facilities. Yesterday afternoon while I was sitting tying bows I turned on the TV to see Entertainment Tonight interviewing Oprah on her new book, 'What I Know For Sure'. I had to pause and whip out my phone to note down a few "Uh Huh" moments.

"Everything that happens to you, happens for you".

"Nothing that ever happens to you is wasted."

"This, too, shall pass".

"The easiest way to change your vibration when you're down is to be grateful."

"Say thank you."

I've started this sentence about ten times and am really struggling to articulate, but without overthinking for a minute, the point is that when life throws you difficult circumstances, even though it can be hard to see or want to accept at the time, often there's a reason, a lesson, a purpose. I do often feel this way looking back, and even in my current stressful time, where even very recently I was struggling to identify a reason for my unhinged year, I'm beginning to see a purpose [stay tuned]. And it is tough to trust that "this, too, shall pass" and you'll come out the other side, but... maybe that's the miraculous thing. You don't have to trust it. It just is. It will pass.

While you're feeling a bit down and out, be grateful, and say thanks for all the wonderful things in your life. Spin positive. Well Lindsay messaged me before to comment on what a nice day it was, and hoped I could get outside to enjoy it. I said I was inside doing job things, but the view from the window was pretty and peaceful [which it very much is - grateful]. Then I read an excerpt from Oprah's new book [below] and that led me straight outside to set my bare feet on the ground. I noticed what a beautiful garden my Mum has created and I snapped away. Grateful for the blue sky, the miraculous flowers, the cool earth beneath my feet, the sweet birds and the smell of the sun.

Here is my excerpt from the excerpt:

Pay attention. Every choice gives you a chance to pave your own road. Keep moving. Full speed ahead.

Being grateful all the time isn’t easy. But  it’s when you feel least thankful that you are  most in need of what gratitude can give you: perspective. Gratitude can transform any situation. It alters your vibration, moving you from negative energy to positive. It’s the quickest, easiest, most powerful way to effect change in your life – this I know for sure.


Whatever you’re going through, you will do just that: go through it. It will pass. So say thank you now. Because you know the rainbow is coming.

I’m often confronted by things about which I have no certainty at all. But I sure believe in miracles. For me, a miracle is seeing the world with light in your eyes. It’s knowing there’s always hope and possibility where none seems to exist. Many people are so closed to miracles that even when one is boldly staring them in the face, they label it coincidence. I call it like I see it. To me, miracles are confirmation that something larger than us is at work. I believe they happen not just sometimes but every single day, if we are open to seeing them.

In my own life, miracles often involve the simplest things... a miracle is watching a sunset the colour of strained peaches and seeing it turn to raspberries by the end of my evening walk. It’s having pomegranate, kiwi and mango on a pretty tray for breakfast. It’s admiring the pink peonies I cut from my own garden and placed in my bedroom. It’s when a green van pauses on the road and a young woman leans out the window to yell, ‘You’re the best teacher on TV!’ and she is a kindergarten teacher. It’s the sound of the birds and their individual songs and the moment when I wonder, are they singing to each other, to themselves, or just to be heard?

Excerpt from What I Know For Sure, Oprah Winfrey.

What are your little miracles... what are you grateful for?

No comments: