COCO-NUTTY GRANOLA



Totally sugar-hungover, no thanks to the Easter Bunny's many well-meaning helpers, this morning I decided to make this Coco-nutty Granola recipe from Sarah Wilson's I Quit Sugar book. It's pretty good! I'm eating it with milk (right this second) but I think it would go even better with a dollop or two of natural yoghurt.

To make: Combine 3 cups coconut flakes, 2 cups combine chopped almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts and pepitas, 2 tablespoons chia seeds, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 80-100g melted coconut oil and 3 tablespoons rice malt syrup (for sweetness: optional. I didn't use it, simply because I can't seem to find it in any supermarket. I don't think you need it though, as the coconut brings a little sweetness of its own). To make this into more of a muesli, add 2 cups rolled oats to the mix and a little extra coconut oil.

Spread on an oven tray and bake for 15-20 minutes at 120 Celcius, turning halfway through the cooking time.

It's hard to find a muesli in the supermarket that's not sweetened either with sugar, honey, agave or dried fruit; in fact, I plain just can't find one. So the DIY option is a good one if you're trying to kickstart the day sugar-free.

No comments: