ORANGE & FIG BISCUITS



I made these biscuits as part of my resolution to bake sugar-free this year. I can't remember why I am doing this. The recipe has no ADDED sugar but they still contain honey. They are butter-free (I don't have a butter vendetta though, so...) and they are made with wholemeal flour (that's good... more sawdust-like filling).

The recipe is by Emily Rose from her book Have Your Cake. I made them as a lively lunch box treat to break up the monotony of apples, carrots and nuts (the monotony that occurred after eating 3 nuts and half an apple). Anyway, when I did the obligatory raw mixture gobble before baking, let's just say I was not filled with confidence. I was filled with an edible packing material substance. So I added some stuff. And they were nice enough, for a health biscuit.

For all the dieters out there - I crunched some numbers and if you follow the original recipe, each biscuit contains 127 calories. If you add my extras they bump up to 141. Fun fact: one double-coated Tim Tam has 116 calories.

So, there's that... o_0

Ingredients (the stuff that is supposed to be in there)
1 cup wholemeal SR flour
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
1/3 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup rice brain oil
1/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
2 tablespoons orange juice
1/3 cup chopped dried figs

Plus the stuff I added to diminish health but add taste
pinch of salt
1/3 cup raisins
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
tablespoon golden syrup (...oopy. this was actually a boo-boo... golden syrup is just liquid cane sugar. I kinda had already poured it in before I realised the "mistake"...too bad, so sad)

Method
Preheat oven to 170 celcuis fan forced. Mix flour, coconut and oats together. In another bowl, mix oil, honey, rind and juice. Incorporate the dry ingredients and add the figs. Taste the mixture and then add your optional extras as required. Roll into 16 balls. Bake for about 20 minutes or til golden brown. Cool on trays. Go eat a Tim Tam.

No comments: