BIG MAGIC

Hi there, readers. Are you still there? It's 2.55 on Thursday afternoon, and I have a story for you.

I haven't written since the beginning of the year. It's been a busy year, and there's things to report. Very exciting and wonderful things. In fact, I just got back from my honeymoon a few days ago. But that story will have to wait for another day, because today I'm going to talk about how I'm locked out of the house. And how, it's kinda sorta, a bit cool, it turns out.

Right now I'm sitting on a patch of dog-fluffy carpet, on the floor of my parents' garage. My phone is plugged into the socket, next to Dad's whipper snipper. I'm still in my work clothes from this morning (but I look a bit raggedy). My border collie, Lily, is asleep a metre to my left, but bless her, I have a cold and I keep waking her with a start, every time I sneeze.

How did my day come to this?!

I went to work this morning already sick with a head cold that had developed overnight. I usually wouldn't go to work sick - it really bugs me when people do that. You never know who has an important event coming up that they want to be well for! You should just stay home if you're sick. But the thing is, yesterday was my first day back at work after having been away for three weeks, so I ignored my own rule.

I sneezed at my desk til 11am, at which time my manager agreed it would be best I go home. I had some things to collect from my parents' place before driving home (45 minutes south of my current location) so I came here, gathered my things and then... locked my car keys inside the house. :(

I sent SOS messages to my Mum, to find out her coordinates and if she was at work, and if so, what time she'd be home. 5 hours away.

I obviously then walked around the outside of the house to see if I could break in. Unfortunately my parents are pretty vigilant about securing the house. Luckily the garage door was open though, as it always is, so Lily can come and go. I found some wire in Dad's tool cupboard and tried to pick the lock of the internal garage door, because, obviously picking locks should be a piece of cake and doesn't require any special skills, right? The spirit of McGuiver was not on my side today.

By the way it was a steamy 29C outside and let's not forget, I'm sick. I was not having a fun time. I set up a cushion chair in the shade and finished the last couple of chapters of my book. By that time, I was starving, so packed my handbag, rolled up my trousers, and braced myself for the 20-minute walk through the heat to the shops, in search of food. This is a true story of survival.

It was a scorching walk and not enjoyable. I had some lunch and then went to get supplies: tissues, afternoon snack, a charger and a new book.

I was browsing past the woo-woo section of books and a title called Big Magic; Creative Living Beyond Fear, popped out at me. In hindsight, this is interesting, because I'm dead sure there is a post-it taped to my corkboard at home with the book title Big Magic. I think someone recommended it, though can't recall who. Anyway, I bought it, and decided to walk home. May have stopped past Dunkin Donuts for a self-pity snack. #deserveit.

To my surprise, when I stepped outside of the shopping centre I saw that enormous steel-blue storm clouds had gathered, and they looked like they were about to drop. Sure enough, 5 minutes into my walk home, down came those big, fat raindrops. Right onto my thin white blouse, as I stood waiting at the traffic lights of a 4-way intersection. Perfect.

As I walked homewards I started feeling excited about the shelter of the garage. Isn't it funny, how perception shifts.

I re-positioned myself on my makeshift lounge station and opened up Big Magic.
I'm only six pages in. The introduction talks about famous poet, Jack Gilbert. Page 4 talks about his stint as a teacher...

"...he asked his students to be brave. Without bravery, he instructed, they would never be able to realize the vaulting scope of their own capacities. Without bravery, they would never know the world as richly as it longs to be known. Without bravery, their lives would remain small - far smaller than they probably wanted their lives to be."

It was then that I knew. I stopped reading and looked up at the sky, now streaked with harmless white clouds. I said, "thank you".

See, when I had arrived back at the train station after coming home from work this morning, I got in my car, and I had a question for my helpers (of the angelic variety). I've had some questions about what I'm doing, work-wise, and where I'm going.

I kept reading, til I got to the end of the introduction, which reads:

"He (Jack Gilbert) smiled at the girl (a student) with infinite compassion and asked, "Do you have the courage? Do you have the courage to bring forth this work? The treasures that are hidden inside you are hoping you will say yes."

And then I cried a few happy, slightly overwhelmed tears. I realised that the utterly weird direction that my day took, was not an accident. I was meant to get this book and read these words. And that's why I'm sitting on the dog-furry carpet, with a headcold, locked out - but feeling grateful, and not at all sorry for myself (well... I could be feeling worse).

XO




Edit: Got home and, sure enough, there's the post-it. #magic #visionboards #lawofattraction


No comments: