GINGER SPONGE



I was delighted on Sunday to have the chance to replicate this Ginger Sponge that my cousin-in-law, Sam[antha] made a couple of years ago. I had been staying up in Grafton with my family at my Uncle and Aunty's house, and one night we had a friendly Masterchef challenge. My Uncle, cousin and cousin-in-law each took a corner of the kitchen and whipped up three specialty desserts, to be judged by us, the relos, and the neighbours. It was a really tough gig. There was no victor on the night because we the judges were too diplomatic to make a call amongst family members. Sam's "dish" must have made a good impression, though. It was the Ginger Sponge, and I asked for the recipe on the weekend. Considering how many recipe books I own, this should be taken as a true compliment!

This weekend was my lovely friends' housewarming and also a birthday celebration. (Happy Birthday, Rowley!) It was a sunny Sunday in Sydney and a great chance to catch up with friends and spend some time with my sweetheart nieces, their little pal, and join in on the lounge snuggles for a screening of Pinnochio (the plot of which is way more complicated than I remembered!).

The Women's Weekly recipe is below. I thought it could do with a touch more ginger (1/4 teaspoon more), and maybe 5 minutes less in the oven than suggested. But other than that, it was a pretty spiffy sponge.









5 eggs separated
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
1/3 cup self-raising flour
1/3 cup corn flour
3 tsps ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp cocoa powder
3/4 cup thickened cream


Preheat oven 200/180 fan forced. Grease two 20cm round cake pans.Beat egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; gradually add sugar, beating until dissolved after additions. Beat in egg yolks and golden syrup.Triple sift dry ingredients; fold into mixture. Pour mixture into pans. Bake about 18mins. Turn sponges immediately onto wire racks to cool. Beat cream until soft peaks form, join cakes with cream.

2 comments: